Religions of Mesopotamia appeared in Sumerians culture and other peoples of Mesopotamia developed it; and it maintain in Antique period as well. Each Mesopotamian city had its own personal God protector, and to every God they built stepped temple shaped like a tower with a shrine at the top – the ziggurat.
|List of major Mesopotamian deities:|
- Ea – God of wisdom,
- Tammuz – God of water and he was named the son of water depth,
- Tishpak – God of ritual ablutions,
- Ninazu – God which knows water,
- Enlil – The Supreme God of the country, named the “Big mountain”
- Anu – God of sky,
- Sin – God of the moon,
- Babar -God of Sun,
- Ishtar – Goddess of nature, life, birth, and war, she was presented in the form of the star Venus.
- God Anu – father of Gods
- Goddess Ninmah – mother of Gods
- Tammuz – True son.
In mythology’s art, major symbols were “tree of life” and “tree of the truth.”
Keepers of the house in Sumer:
The supreme trinity of Gods: Anu – God of sky, Enlil – God of Earth, Ea – God of water and knowledge.
Second place of deities: Sin – God of moon, Shamash – God of Sun, Adad – God of storms and Ishtar – Goddess of nature forces
Totemism: is the oldest form of human belief. Even the prehistoric people believed in the relationship between animals and plants, as there is a relationship between people. From this belief in plants and animals, a belief was developed that animals or plants are their specie or relative. They believed that animal or plant is their ancestor.